Friday, July 19, 2019

Whats Next?

What's next for my product and service:

  • I think the next product I should consider should be marketed to those who don't necessarily feel like branching out with faux leather but are somewhat interested in the idea. As of now, these individuals do not have any experience with faux leather and don't necessarily know what it entails, so I would branch out and talk with them. I think my product should manufacture a product that contains some leather recycled leather, but is overall mostly made with plant and fruit cells and stems.
Market Interviews:

  • I interviewed a girl who is vegetarian and tries to limit her use of leather and animal products. I talked with her about I asked her several questions about what her opinion was about the leather and fur industry, and she didn't even seem to be aware of the environmental impact. She said that she had a vegan diet but sometimes if she found a bag or pair of shoes that she really liked but were made with some leather, she might consider buying them. She was surprised to find out that the working conditions for people producing leather were very poor and she said she would be very interested in buying a good leather alternative. 
  • I interviewed an engineering student who is vegan and is starting to incorporate alternatives in all aspects of his life. He seemed to care more about the fact that there is a large environmental impact, not so much about the ethics of the industry. He is an engineering student who tries to budget while in college, so the leather is not something he thinks very much about. He said he owns a few leather products, but would reconsider the materials of his shoes next time he decides to go shopping. He said his main concern when buying products is the price, so if the alternatives are priced well, he will buy them 
  • Lastly, I interviewed a man who has been vegan for 30 years and has slowly cut out any and all animal products. He is very passionate about veganism and has been an advocate for several years and has strong beliefs about the fact that the leather industry is both cruel for animals as well as our environment. He would be very interested in the faux leather that I would be creating.
Reflection:

  • After talking with people who are already in the market that I would be going into, they would be very willing to buy my product. There is a strong community of those who are passionate about veganism and animals, and they would be my main target. From these interviews, I learned that it would be pretty simple to use vegans as my target audience, and they would be very willing to try my product if I labeled it as vegan and promoted the idea that leather is detrimental to the environment.
New Market:

  • The new market would be those who are either against veganism or are very passionate about leather and are very set in their ways. Some people prefer the traditions in life and don't appreciate branching out in any way. This new market would be very difficult to penetrate, but in order to have a successful product, you need to target everyone.
New market interviews:


    • This interview was conducted with a library staff member who has been working in the library for 6 years. He is an older man who doesn't shop or think about material items much. I asked him what he thinks of the leather industry and he didn't have much to say about it other than it was a "necessary evil." I proposed the idea of an alternative to leather in order to cut down on the environmental impact of leather and he said he would prefer to buy items that had less of an impact on the environment. He said he wouldn't go out of his way to make the switch but if it were in front of him, he would buy a faux leather. 
    • In this interview, I talked with a male grad student. We discussed the fact that leather and fur are extremely detrimental to our environment, as well as cruel for animals. He seemed to care more about the fact that there is a large environmental impact, not so much about the ethics of the industry. He is an engineering student who tries to budget while in college, so leather is not something he thinks very much about. He said he owns a few leather products, but would reconsider the materials of his shoes next time he decides to go shopping. He said his main concern when buying products is the price, so if the alternatives are priced well, he will buy them.
    • This interview was conducted with a female student who said she mostly wears leather shoes and she doesn't consider it an issue. She said that she knows that an animal will have to die for the shoe but she thinks eating meat could be considered just as wrong, and therefore, doesn't consider it an issue. She mentioned that she has never given leather alternatives a thought because the quality is not the same and it isn't as easily attainable.
    Reflection:
    • These interviews made me realize that it would be difficult to get into this new market, but not impossible. Everyone I talked to said they would consider buying this product but would need to test it and experience the fact that it would be just as good as real leather. Overall, I think it would be very easy to sell this product to vegans and those who have an understanding of the leather industry, but very difficult to sell and market to an audience of those who are very set in their ways. 

    4 comments:

    1. Hey Lauren,
      I really love your passion for this subject it is such a great idea. I think that with this blog entry you really covered a lot and did the right things. I found it super interesting the subject is something that I would love to do future research on. After reading your article it hooked me and makes me want to get more information about it. Combining the subject together is a great way to widen your audience and make the most use out of it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hey Lauren! I applaud you for choosing a new market that is radically different from your existing market. This shows that you are willing to broaden your concept's horizons and sell to unlikely customers. I would suggest scrapping the recycled leather idea, however, since many vegans and vegetarians will probably shun products that have any animal matter in them at all, regardless of how they got there. Keep up the good work!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hey Lauren! I think this is the first time I am reading about your product and I LOVE it! I found it really interesting when you started throwing in all of the scientific parts that go behind it all, the cells, etc. I think it would be awesome to be able to use all that to create a faux leather product, and my favorite part is that you would RECYCLE used leather to create your product! So in a sense, it's still somewhat authentic! Great post, great idea!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I continue to love your posts about these great hurricane houses. I thinkt hat you ideas should expand to other demographics such as car manufacturers to use animal free products. Another opportunity could be in the furniture industry. Overall I think you are on to something great and you should keep developing the idea!

      ReplyDelete