Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Reading Reflection No. 2

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
This book discusses how there are essentially two systems in your brain that are consistently fighting for control over your behaviors and your actions. This book basically is an instructional guide to teach you how some people have errors in your judgment, memories, and decisions and what you can do about it. 
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
This book enhanced my knowledge about how to create motivation within yourself, which goes hand in hand with entrepreneurship. This book discusses how your brain has two systems - conscious and automatic, which influences your decisions. The author relates this book back to making money and how to use your conscious brain to make decisions about money and leave your emotions at home. 
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I would create an exercise in which there is a list of decisions and motivations and you have to match which system of the brain they relate to - conscious or automatic. Then, you would be asked to evaluate which decisions would be made from error in memory or judgment.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
My biggest surprise when reading this book was that your conscious brain is aware and considerate and best for making hard decisions, and your automatic brain is impulsive and emotional. I didn't realize that we had control over these systems in our brain and if we manipulate and understand them, we can make better decisions. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren!
    I was thinking of picking this book for my top three. This book sounds extremely interesting I would love to learn how to help made better decision choices in certain times. I think motivation is the key for all of these books and the overall purpose of life just to keep going in this sense the human brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren,
    I also chose this book for my reading reflection and was definitely interested in the main topic of it. Like you said, it was instructional, but a lot of people aren't aware of the information this book provides so the material was very beneficial. Your exercise was very similar to mine and I think it would be effective and very interesting to see the results. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren,
    I really liked reading your summary. I did not read the book but after reading your reflection I feel like I have a good enough understanding of the content. Your exercise sounds like a lot of fun and you can tell it was well thought out. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lauren,
    Your summary was done well and I enjoyed reading it. As for the book, I never read it before but I feel it is something I should put in my library for future referencing because I was truly inspired by what you wrote. I believe, systematically, that I am well equipped to push my business career. This book focuses on the cognitive idea for success, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete