Monday, May 20, 2019

Bug List

In this post, I will be writing 20 things that bug me in life and then answer why these things are done.

1. The Starbucks drive-thru lines aren't uniformly efficient, some are way slower than others.
Why? Starbucks employees are all trained differently and some stores might be newer than others so they are still trying to get a good system.
2. My dog always stops to pee at the same spot under a hydrangea tree that always has a swarm of bees flying in it.
Why? He smells another dog who peed there and the dog probably peed there because my dog did and it's a recurring cycle.
3. My mom always calls me at 11 a.m. when I am in class because she forgets that I have class at 11, yet I am always reminding her.
Why? She has a busy schedule and might not remember when my class is or she isn't aware of the time she is calling at.
4. My phone has a sensor on the screen and I constantly unintentionally turn on the flashlight just by holding my phone.
Why? The sensor is valued by iPhone users because of the convenience, and it just so happens to be easy to turn the flashlight on.
5.  It bothers me when the ice in my drink melts and it looks like the drink is still somewhat full but it's mostly just ice water and a light gross taste of the drink I ordered.
Why? Ice is needed to keep the drink cold, but due to the molecular qualities of ice, it melts if it's not at a constant freezing point.
6. The humidity and heat are so high in Gainesville in the summer that I am running out of clothes to wear to class that will keep me cool while walking to class.
Why? The hemisphere is closer to the sun during the summer and Florida is even closer, so obviously it's going to be hot and I can't afford to buy new clothes all the time.
7. People will go out of their way to cut me off in traffic, yet go way slower than I want to go.
Why? They were trying to get in my lane because they need to turn soon, but they maintain the pace they prefer to drive at.
8. When I'm watching TV and I think I found the perfect volume, but a commercial comes on and it sounds like I turned up the TV to full blast.
Why? The commercials and TV show/movie are made with different volumes and aren't cohesively edited.
9. When the lawn mowing service starts mowing outside of my window at 7 in the morning and wakes me up.
Why? They have a schedule and a set of places they map out for the day so my building is probably one of the first on their list.
10. It bugs me when I turn up the volume of my music while wearing headphones and I can still hear people talking in the library.
Why? People go to the library with their friends to motivate each other to do work so they are inevitably going to talk to each other.
11. When the writers of a TV show take a completely different turn than I wanted or expected and ruin the show for me.
Why? The writers don't live to please me, they write to make the show interesting and fulfill their creative needs.
12. When my dog decides to take a nap on my pillow with his dirty sweaty body and I have to change and wash the pillowcase.
Why? He is tired and the pillow is comfortable.
13. When I am at a drive-thru and the person in front of me has a long complicated order that holds up the whole line.
Why? They don't feel like making the effort to park their car, get out, and go inside to order.
14. When I am right in the middle of doing something important for school and my wifi stops working.
Why? The connection was shorted or someone in my building is using up all of its capability.
15. Telemarketers who call me while I am in the middle of doing something important on my phone and I lose my focus.
Why? It's their job to call random numbers at all hours of the day.
16. The noise my silverware drawer makes sounds like nails on a chalkboard and disturbs me every time I need a fork.
Why? The screws or drawer pull is rusty and needs some oil.
17. If I have plans with someone and we don't communicate well, the plan isn't set up well and we don't have a good time.
Why? We're busy and didn't give the plan much thought or energy.
18. When I am doing my eyeliner and one eye looks like Jeffree Star himself did it and the other eye looks like I did it with my foot so I have to redo both until my eye is red and irritated.
Why? I have shaky, uncoordinated hands that aren't conducive to doing intricate lines of makeup.
19. If I am not sure how much to water a plant and think I am doing a great job until one day I come home to see all the leaves brown and drooping.
Why? I probably over watered the plant and now it's waterlogged.
20. When I go through the hassle of hanging up pictures on my wall and I finally come down to see how my hard work turned out and they aren't hanging symmetrically.
Why? I didn't take the time to measure out how far apart they were and adjust them accordingly.

Reflection: I didn't find this very difficult as there are so many little things that happen throughout my day that mildly bug me, so I made mental notes of them. I found it somewhat challenging to come up with reasons why these things are done because when you're annoyed at something, it's hard to think of it from another perspective.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren! 11 wouldn't happen to be about Game of Thrones, would it? (If it is, then all I have to say is...Long live the Queen in the North!) Good on you for making mental notes of the things that bugged you throughout the day. I forgot to do this and ended up spending a lot of time brainstorming as I did the assignment. I agree that it's difficult to find reasons for things that bug you. Since they bug you, you're naturally inclined to find them irrational and thus have no reason at all. Great job on this first assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren. I can totally relate to your number three, my mom does the same exact thing to me as well. Overall I liked all your bugs because when i was reading through them some of them were problems that I also face daily. Even though you did not think the assignment was difficult your thought process on each question with the answer is very thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren, you brought to light so many bugs that I have as well. I completely understand the television and volume part. My wife and I will be watching a show and it seems like the volume is at a perfect tone and then a commercial comes on and almost blasts us out of the room. The ice melting is another one that I think about. I make a drink and within minutes it is watered down because the ice melted so quickly. There is a lot we have is common when it comes to things that bug us and I look forward to taking more throughout this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lauren, I enjoyed reading the list of bugs you found. I found a lot of them to be very interesting. I especially enjoyed the one about where your dog pee's because i have a similar issue with my dog who likes to pee on my neighbor’s yard. Im always very curious about why animals do that and what causes their decisions. Loved the work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lauren, I have a few bugs that I did not post in mine that I could relate to on a personal level. As you mentioned in #9 about people mowing the grass early in the morning. When I lived at canopy a few years ago there was always people doing yard work early in the morning and It would really irritate me that I was woken up by them. Also I can really relate to the volume on the T.V. as well. I can't stand when you watching something on T.V. and its the perfect volume level and when a commercial comes on the volume increase drastically. I guess its a marketing tool, but its very annoying.

    ReplyDelete