Thursday, August 1, 2019

Final Reflection

1) Read through your posts from this semester. Recall all of the experiences you've had a long the way -- the highs, the lows -- the fun moments, and the moments of drudgery, and even the moments of dread.
  • Based on all of my posts from the semester, I didn't necessarily have any lows or moments of drudgery. I found each assignment/blog post to be interesting to write. The highs from all the posts would be the ones where I was able to have more creative freedom like the "what's next" post or the "what's your secret sauce." I found the most challenging assignments to be the interviews because it was hard to summarize exactly what I learned when talking to people and was overall difficult to find people who would be a good match for the assignment. 

2) What sticks out to you as the most formative experience? The experience that you'll remember years later? What was your most joyous experience? What experience are you most proud of yourself for accomplishing?
  • The most formative experience for me in this class was finding something that I was passionate about and imagining myself making a product out of that. It was fun to do research about my potential product and research people who have done similar things and be able to tweak it to be a truly unique product. I also think it was fun to do research on how exactly I could create my product since I am already so passionate and interested in the leather industry, and finding possible sustainable materials was very entertaining for me. 

3) At the beginning of the semester, I mentioned that I wanted each of you to develop an entrepreneurial mindset. Now, at the end, do you see yourself as an entrepreneur? Do you think you have moved closer to developing an entrepreneurial mindset?
  • I don't necessarily see myself as an entrepreneur, as I find the business world to be very boring and I couldn't ever really see myself being at the forefront of it, however, I do think the idea of creating a product to be very intriguing. I have always had this idea of creating a good leather alternative, so it was fun to really research the idea and explore it more in-depth. I definitely have learned more about what exactly becoming an entrepreneur entails and am now more open to the idea of starting my own company one day. 

4) What is the one recommendation you would make to the students who are going to journey down this path in the future? What would you recommend they do to perform best in this course? What would you recommend they do to foster that mindset?
  • I would recommend future students understand that the product they chose in the first few assignments is going to be the one that is discussed for the entirety of the entirety class, so make sure you really want to talk about it and have a passion for it. I didn't really know when I first decided on my product that I would be focusing on it for the entire class, so I am glad I chose the product I did and it was something that could be expanded upon and something I am truly interested in.  

3 comments:

  1. Greetings Lauren! I think its common for most people not to see them as an entrepreneur. Its something that not many people grow up wanting to be or really understand when they are young. Its not something that kids dream of being and as we discussed in class, its not always the easiest path. That’s okay. We all have a direction. I hope you enjoyed the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lauren, I also thought the "whats next" assignment to be very challenging and it really made me think long and hard. I also thought your recommendations were spot on. My first business opportunity is not the one I ended up with. Its very important to spend a lot of time thinking of your business opportunity and making sure that you can stick with it the rest of the class. That is a mistake that I made and if I would have know we were going to stick with this one Idea the rest of the semester, I probably would have spent more time thinking of the perfect Idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren, nice job with this post. I have to agree with your recommendation to future students about their product. It sometimes was a challenge for me, because my product was in an area where I have little experience, besides the programming aspect, but I made it work. I also don’t see myself as an entrepreneur, but I think I have developed a little of the mindset, like probably lots of people here. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete